lunes, 13 de febrero de 2012

13/2/2012

Today, woke up at 8:00 for hiking! Crazy.  I'm not a hiker.  But my friends were going, and the group that went a few weeks ago said it was pretty, and well,  I knew it wouldn't kill me.  So we met up, had a two hour bus ride to el Cerro del Hierro (hill of iron).  We got there, and it was freezing.  I had bundled up though so once we started walking it wasn't too bad.  It was nice to see landscape again with trees and grass, as opposed to the city.  The tour guide we had was really funny, and we'd stop every once and a while and he'd tell us about different plants or animals.  We saw some goats and some sheep.  We walked for a few hours, stopped and had lunch on a hill, and then walked for another maybe hour.  The first past was mostly woods, and the second half was wide open fields.  Really pretty.  Talked to Kimby, Nicole, and Sarah most of the time.  There were about 50 students all together.  Then we go to the end (we had made a big circle), and I was excited that I had made it.  But then he told us we were going to walk a little further to a mine.  Okay, I could go a little further.  Ended up being another hour!! I was exhausted.  It was worth it though.  The mine was really cool.  I won't try to explain it because I really can't - but I'll put the pictures on Facebook.  After a long day I was excited to get to the bus and rest.  I was starving - I had a little sandwich and an orange for lunch - so when we got back we went and got churros with chocolate.  Came home and just relaxed the rest of the afternoon.  For dinner I had pizza that senora had bought at a place nearby..it had ham and artichoke - it was so good.  So nice having real pizza again.  And I had some left over soup made with white asparagus.

Today I had cooking class.  We learned about olive oils - and next class we get to have a taste test of different kinds.  Then I came home, had lunch - homemade tortilla again! My favorite.  Then I went to my first day of volunteering.  I chose to do arts and crafts with little kids - and it turns out it's at the same school where my teaching is, in one of the classes I may be teaching (I'll find out tomorrow).  So I went to CIEE to meet the person who would bring us to the school.  I met a girl who was also going, from Minnesota.  She was really nice- and she spoke in Spanish! Which is really nice because a lot of the Americans here speak English..and in case you didn't know, I need to practice!!! So we took the bus to the school ( really easy ) and went into the classroom.  The teacher is really nice.  We basically each got a table,  I had two, and talked to the kids and made sure they knew what they were doing and helped them out.  They were making hearts and flowers for el dia de San Valentin.  The girls were mostly shy, but the little boys were full of energy and really goofy.  One of the boys kept giving me the heart and flower he made and asking me to be his "novia" (girlfriend).  I was sitting on the floor letting one of the little girls play with my hair, and next thing I know I have eight kids jumping on me and giving me their hearts and flowers.  They were so cute.  It's hard speaking to them though. Firstly because it's so loud in there, and the little girls speak so quietly.  Secondly, I  don't know how to say "Stop hitting him" "Stop kicking her" and "Don't put that in your mouth".  It's a good chance to practice the command form of verbs though.  Anyways, it was so much fun.  I can't decide if I want to work with this class for my teaching, so I get to know them all even better, or pick another class to change it up.  If I can get the class of five year olds (which all three of us want- and there's only one) I may do that.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario